Now on to the new year. From one thrifter to another: In with the old! That's going to be my motto for 2011.
So I was listening to public radio this a.m. and there was a piece about "Haul Videos" on youtube, where people (women and girls) make videos of what they purchased on their recent shopping excursions. And other people watch them! Now some retailers are even rewarding these haul video posters with incentives like coupons and other freebies. So, I've decided to regularly post my "Thrhaul" (or thrifting haul--and you heard it hear first, so if Sarah Palin tries to co-opt it for her "consignment" finds, you'll finally know she's a liar!) Savers, Goodwill, Salvation Army--take note! I shamelessly accept shopping incentives in return for free publicity!
At the Salvation Army in Providence:
- Brand new Minnetonka Moccasins for $8.99. Yes, they're kind of ugly. But they're new! And if you can't quite tell from the photo, they're navy. Some patriotic soul will want them.
- An awesome LL Bean boys jacket for $6.99.
- An Obermeyer boy's ski jacket for $4.50.
- An LL Bean kids fleece bathrobe for $2.
- Two vintage cross-stitch kits featuring new baby themes for $1.99 each.
At St. Martin's Church thrift shop:
- Unopened puzzle of Block Island for $5. A bit pricey, but I'm hoping all those rich Block Island vacationers will be suffering from cabin fever right about now and will gladly pony up a hefty price for a fun, fireside activity that reminds them of warmer times.
- A vintage snakeskin belt for .75. Actually, I think the saleslady didn't charge me for this. She thought it wasn't worth the 75 cent price. I disagreed. It's real snakeskin! And it's a skinny belt--perfect for layering that cardigan over your shirt over your turtleneck.
- Three pairs of brand new Brooks Brothers men's dress socks for $12. Also a bit pricey for a church basement, but they're brand new, made in Italy, and mostly wool.
- A vintage linen green floral tablecloth for $2.50.
- An awesome girl's ski jacket for $3.
- A men's LL Bean fleece robe for $3.
- A boy's GAP fleece robe for $2.
Are you jealous yet? Or inspired? Not sure which emotion you're supposed to be left with. Whatever it is, happy thrifting!